These are the most important questions you need to first answer, before picking a dog:
1. Long coat dogs need a lot of grooming. Do you mind grooming?
2. Some dogs need a lot of exercise. Will you be able to walk your dog enough or do you have a big garden for him to run around in?
3. Some breeds tend to get more noisy. Do you live in an apartment or confined space, where a noisy dog would be an issue?
4. Some breeds tend to be easier to train than others. If you don't have experience with dogs, you might prefer dogs that are easier to train. Would you prefer a dog that is easier to train or do you think you are ready to take on a training challenge?
4. Do you have kids? If yes, then some breeds tend to be more friendly with kids. You need to give that special consideration.
Apart from these, there are some other questions to think about:
1. What size of dog do you want?
2. How much money are you willing to spend on buying and maintaining a dog?
3. Do you have a preference on how your dog looks?
Once you have answers to these questions, you can post your preference here and you will get help in picking a breed. If you already have a breed in mind, then go meet a few breeders. See a few puppies. One little puppy will definitely seem the right puppy for you. The very first time we went to get our puppy, she ran out to us. We knew that she was the one :) You will know your puppy too. Trust me!