• Whatsapp Whatsapp
      • DogSpot makes shopping easier via instant messaging!
        Whatsapp us on +91- 9599090487 and let us know what your furry friend requires and we will get your order delivered.

9 Surprisingly Common Foods That Are Slowly Killing Your Dog

24 Sep 2017 | by | Posted in: Wag News

Who can resist those big brown eyes and cute Doggie Grin? Can a little reward from the table or getting into Mom or Dad’s stuff really hurt your dog? Well, that depends on what it is and what's in it. If it contains the sweetener xylitol, it can cause your dog some real problems. In fact, there’s a lot of people food your dog should never eat. And, it’s not just because of weight. Some foods are downright dangerous for dogs -- and some of these common foods may surprise you.

1. Chocolate Chocolate contains methylxanthines, and can carry the same dangerous side effects as caffeine. All types of chocolate contain these compounds, though it’s more prevalent in some kinds. Dark chocolate, chocolate mulch, and unsweetened baker’s chocolate are particularly potent and harmful to dogs.

2. Salt “Eating too much salt can cause excessive thirst and urination and lead to sodium ion poisoning,” wrote a researcher. While we know we should drink plenty of water — especially the moment we actually begin to feel thirsty — we might not remember to monitor our pet’s water intake. A chip or two won’t cause major harm, but it’s best to dole out low-sodium alternatives when possible. Feeding a handful of potato chips or pretzels to your dog when your own snack cravings hit might not be the best example of “sharing is caring.”

3. Fat trimmings and bones

Dogs thrive on the fat trimmings from your plate, right? Not so much, as it turns out. Eating too many fat trimmings can lead to pancreatitis in dogs, otherwise known as an inflamed pancreas. In addition, bones given to domestic dogs can cause them to choke, or the bones can splinter and become a danger during digestion. Cooked bones are a particular risk, since their chance of splintering is greater. While some sources say raw bones are OK, others suggest forgoing the bo-ones altogether.

4. Peaches, plums The fruit itself isn’t the issue — it’s the pits inside that cause damage. Most obviously, the pits can cause intestinal blockages that can turn serious. However, the pits also contain cyanide, which is toxic to humans and pets alike. Humans know to not take a bite out of the pit, while your dog might continue chowing down. In addition, persimmon seeds can cause inflammation in the intestines, adding to your dog’s discomfort.

5. Yeast “Ingestion of yeast dough can cause gas to accumulate in your dog’s digestive system as a result of the dough rising,” VetsNow explains. “Not only can this be painful but it may also cause the stomach or intestines to become obstructed (blocked) or distended.”

6. Grapes and raisins The compound in grapes and raisins that is toxic to dogs is unknown, Whatever it is, it’s dangerous enough that it can cause kidney failure in canines, and feeding grapes or raisins to your dog should be avoided completely. According to the research, eating these otherwise innocuous snacks can also cause severe liver damage. How your dog responds to eating some will vary based on breed and size, but even a handful can cause serious problems.

7. Garlic Garlic is well-known for its health benefits. Unfortunately, all plants related to garlic, including onions, shallots, and chives, are toxic to your cat or dog. When your pet eats garlic, their red blood cells can burst — similar to what happens when they ingest zinc. And the reason you need to be extra wary of garlic is because it can be up to five times more potent than onion. It doesn’t take much garlic to do serious damage to your cat or dog, and you may not even immediately detect something’s wrong. Your pet may not start showing symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, or lethargy for two to four days after ingestion. Always keep that garlic far out of your curious pet’s reach when you’ve finished cooking dinner.

9. Avocado

Is a treat from the table OK for your dog? That depends on what it is. Avocados, for example, have something called persin. It’s fine for people who aren't allergic to it. But too much might be poisonous to dogs. If you grow avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Persin is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit.

You can make sure your dog has a healthy, well-balanced diet by asking your vet to suggest a quality dog food. But that doesn't mean you can't sometimes give your dog people food as a special treat. Only give him a little. Be sure the foods are cooked, pure, and not fatty or heavily seasoned.

Write a Story
  • Follow Us:

Views and Articles are not endorsed by DogSpot.in. DogSpot does not assume responsibility or liability for any Comment or for any claims, damages, or losses resulting from any use of the Site or the materials contained therein. All contributions and Articles are owned by DogSpot.in.