Toxic food items for your dog
last updated 01st, Sep 2009,
Not all foods that are suitable for humans are suitable for dogs.
In fact, some of them can be dangerous and even fatal. Someone of you will
have heard or read some of people comments on dangerous food before.
There may be numerous items around your home that could be attractive to dogs,
but which could also be quite dangerous. In addition to cleaning agents and
poisons, common household plants can also be dangerous to dogs when they
Some items may produce minor problems such as vomiting when eaten in small
amounts. In other cases, severe symptoms may result. Immediate action and
treatment can help to reduce symptoms as well as prevent long term damage or
This is just a sample of some commonly seen dangerous items that dogs could eat.
1) Apples :
When dogs consume large amounts of fruits such as applies, and even
apricots, these foods can be toxic to dogs. The most dangerous part of these
foods are the seeds, leaves and stems. This is because such fruits contain a
compound that is similar to cyanide.
Signs of cyanide poisoning in your dog may include dilated pupils, apprehension,
hyperventilation, difficulty breathing and shock. When these symptoms are
present, you should seek assistance from your vet.
As most people know, chocolate can be fatal to a dog when
consumed in large amounts. The reason that chocolate, particularly dark
chocolate, can be fatal to dogs is the presence of caffeine as well as
methylxanthine alkaloids and theobromine.
When we as humans eat chocolate we are able to digest and then later excrete
these items within just a few hours. That is not the case with dogs. It can take
much longer for dogs to excrete these items. In some cases it can take as long
as 18 hours. Symptoms include diarrhea and vomiting as well as muscle twitching, hyperactivity, restlessness, excessive panting and increased urination.
In severe cases, there may also be seizure activity. Speak to you vet immediately.
3) Baking Powder and Baking Soda
Both of these items are leavening agents
which make batter rise. When a dog consumes large amounts of either of these
items, it can lead to abnormalities in the dog’s electrolytes. Symptoms often
include muscle spasm. See you vet immediately as this can cause congestive
Choosing the right food for your dog is tremendously important.
Unlike humans, dogs do not have the ability to review health information on their
own and choose the healthiest food on their own.
Thanks and regards