Benefits of pumpkin in pet's diet
last updated 30th, May 2017,
Pumpkin is a typical vegetable that has unique nutritional and many beneficial properties. Pumpkin is as good for our pets as it is for us. Below are the few points why pumpkin is to there in pets diet.
- Anti-diabetic - Pumpkin is low glycemic furthermore supporting Low glycemic Index feature. Pumpkin has been shown to reduce blood glucose levels, improve glucose tolerance and increase the amount of insulin the body produces.
- Pumpkin rich Beta-carotene source (Vitamin A) and other natural antioxidants - Pumpkin's brilliant orange coloring is due to rich source of beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body
- Supporting healthier life by Support immune system Pumpkin is shot of vitamin A the fruit provides helps your body fight infections, viruses and infectious diseases. Pumpkin oil even helps fight various bacterial and fungal infections. Plus, pumpkin is packed with nearly 20 percent of the recommended amount of daily vitamin C.
- Active against free radicals resulting also in an anti-carcinogenic effect Rich source of vitamin A & C both are antioxidants, and they act as shields for your cells against cancer-causing free radicals.
- Promotes cardiovascular system protection - Pumpkin contains a biological Phytochemical which regulate the intake of cholesterol from the food.
- Regulates intestinal motility - Our pets need fiber in their diet to stay fit just like us, and pumpkin is one of the good source of fiber. Pumpkin is suitable for all dog, healthy dog or dogs with problems like diarrhea/ constipation. Dog with problem like diarrhea or constipation can jet just treated with pumpkin. Feed regularly to your pet to keep them healthy & fit. It also help in maintaining weight.
- Anti-inflammatory effect - The essential fatty acids contained in pumpkin seeds help strengthen your pets skin and fur from the inside out.
Farmina uses Pumpkin as one of the key ingredients in their Natural & Delicious Pumpkin Grain Free Formula. This comes in Lamb & Blueberry, Chicken & Pomegranate, & COD Fish & Orange Flavor.
In case you do not want to buy a commercial food and stick to home made food for your beloved pet, here is the recipe you may try to get benefits of pumpkin to your pet:
Healthy pumpkin balls
This snack is not only delicious but is also filled with fiber, vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, and iron.
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 tbsp molasses
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix pumpkin, molasses, vegetable oil, and water together in a bowl
- Add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon to the mixture and stir until dough softens
- Scoop out small spoonful of dough and roll into balls on your hands (wet hands work best)
- Set the balls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and flatten with a fork
- Bake approximately 25 minutes until dough is hardened
Hope you will enjoy making tasty ball for your furry friend.