Dog Grooming and the FURminator
15 Mar 2010
| by |
How To Groom A Dog
This goes for most dogs. If your dog needs to get trimmed, then you still need to take them in or buy a grooming kit with clippers. For my dogs, I keep them looking great with a few simple steps.
1. Buy the FURminator Deshedding Tool (They have three sizes, large, medium, and small). Petsmart uses the FURminator on its' furry customers. has them for an unbeatable price. https://www.furminatorplus.com/
2. Buy a good shampoo. The scent is up to you. I use a flea/tick shampoo in the summer time. I'm always changing shampoos, but if you find one you like then stick with it.
3. Get a good size towel that you don't mind getting a little dirty.
4. Get nail clippers - You can use the new style that rolls along the nail edges, or stick with the old fashion one. Of course you can do this in your tub or out side (My great dane lab sheds too much for the tub, he will clog it up)
6. Dog toothpaste and toothbrush
7. Small warm and moist towel
8. Dog treats and a bandana(Bandana goes around neck for a hip looking dog) LOL.
Now lets start grooming your dog:
1. Take your FURminator Brush that is fit for the size dog you have(They have large, medium, and small). Large is good for dogs over 40lbs, mediums are good for dogs 15-40lbs, and smalls are for dogs and cats under 15lbs. Brush him for about 20-30 minutes. Although your dog may still be shedding, the furminator should have decreased the amount of hair removed from your dog. Apply a sufficient amount of pressure, but make sure not to injure your dog. You might want to do this outside. Once again, How to Brush dog? has excellent deals on these unique brushes. https://furminatorplus.com/
2. How to shampoo dog?
Take your dog to the tub or outside to shampoo them. If the dog attempts to escape, you may need to put him or her on a leash. Pick your favorite type of shampoo. Rinse your dog thoroughly. Apply a generous portion of shampoo over his back. Rub the shampoo into his hair making sure you get his whole body. This includes behind the ears, legs, and underneath by his ribcage. Make sure you rinse all of the soap off of him. The shampoo will make the hair feel rough and course if not completely rinsed off. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
3. Completely dry off your dog with the towel, including the inside of your dogs ears(prevents infections) Let him shake off the majority of the water at first. (Don't let them roll around in the dirt.) Dogs have a tendency to roll in the dirt in order to dry their fur. You may need to use a few towels. This should take about 10 minutes. How to dry off dog?
4. If you are using the traditional nail clippers and are dealing with a difficult dog, you may need two people to complete this step. To prevent injury to the dog, cut the tips on the nail only. Clipping below the quick will cause the dog pain and possible injury. They have sensitive veins in their nails. If your using the new clippers that roll along the edges of the nail. risk of injury to the dog will decrease. Depending on the difficulty of the dog this should take about 10 minutes. How to clip dogs nails?
5. The anal glands are located on either side of the anal opening. Get a warm moist towel and locate the anal glands. This will probably be more traumatizing to you then to your dog! They should be about 5 and 7 o'clock looking at the opening. Apply firm but gentle pressure on the glands, covering the opening so that the brown substance does not seep onto your clothing or hands. When they are being expressed, you will smell foul odor and notice the brown substance on the towel. This technique prevents impaction of the glands and the dog will not drag thier rear on the floor. It will also save you money at the vet and is easy to learn. This process should take only a few minutes to complete and your dog will feel better. How to express dogs 'anal glands?
6. You can buy a kit at a pet store that includes meat flavored toothpaste and a dog tooth brush. If you are using a human tooth brush, just buy the toothpaste. Gently brush your dogs teeth along gum line going all the way to his back teeth making sure you get every tooth on all sides. Your dog may not like this at first, but they will become used to it and it prevents tartar build up. You should brush their teeth at least twice a week and five minutes should be sufficient to complete this task. How to brush dogs teeth?
7. Just like a humans, dogs are prone to ear infections. To clean their ears get a q-tip and gently stroke in a circular motion and prevent from going to deep into the ear canal. Cleaning the parts of the ear that are visible should be sufficient. This task should take approximately 5 minutes. How to clean dogs ears?
8. Get something cool for your dog. They earned it. Get them a bandana to go around their neck or some bows. Also, give them a treat so that next time they might look forward to being groomed.
I hope this helps some people. It's not hard to do, it just takes about an hour of your time to do a good job. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will answer through the blog. By purchasing a furminator, you can save yourself the frustrations of mediocre brushes and experience true quality while grooming your dog. Watch a youtube video to see the furminator in action. Once again has great prices. https://www.furminatorplus.com/