I have been feeding my 6 weeks old stray pup 2 spoons of 50:50 mix of CERLAC and SAMOLAC, 4 times a day.
1. Is the quantity sufficient, I ask because he eats like as if there won't be no tomorrow. Is it advisable to slow down his eating speed.
Sandy : Has the pup being de wormed, or else whatever it eats would go to worms ? Break down the quantity and feed him maybe 5 times by increasing the content by 25% more and gradually increase it as weeks pass…after eating a pups should never have a balloon like stomach as if it is gonna blast, it should be slightly big.
2. If the quantity mentioned above is not sufficient than how much should I feed him.
Sandy : increasing the content by 25% more and gradually increase it as weeks pass…after eating a pups should never have a balloon like stomach as if it is gonna blast, it should be slightly big.
3. At what age should I switch over to solid food.
Sandy: What do u mean by solid food elaborate ?
4. I tried giving him Royal Canin for weaning puppies mixed in curd along with his usual diet, but later in the evening I noticed his stomach was sort of bloated and hard. So I stopped fearing that he may be having tough time digesting it.
Sandy: whenever u give RC u should have water available. Don’t try too many combinations of food stick to a standard diet.
5. I am also self training him, and as for now I am giving him RC as a treat, which is never more than 12 pebbles of Royal Canin, owing to the problem I faced earlier. Can someone suggest me something better.
Sandy : Yeah continue with that, actual training can start after 2 months
Please note that I cannot prepare non-veg food at home so I would appreciate if treats can be some sort of vegetarian concoction.
6. Can someone suggest a good & balanced daily veg diets for a pup which can be continued even as pup grows.
Sandy : I would consider egg as a veg … so boiled vegetables + 2 eggs boiled + jiggery + rice should be good.
You should also give him multi vitamin supplements as the diet is in complete
7. When we brought him home he had quite a lot of ticks & fleas on him. We used anti-flea shampoo on him twice on two consecutive Sundays along with Notix twice in a week. Now the problem is his skin looks quite dry. Can someone suggest some home remedy to improve his skin condition.
As long as there is no dandruff and no itching it is fine…if it is still there after 2-3 weeks then give nutria coat 2-3 ML every day.
I tried to browse through many books available at the stores but all of them speak about pedigree dogs and mostly about training them none to satisfy my queries related to raising the pups. I am reading "Puppies for dummies" right now and also on look out for something better. However I do not want to experiment on my pup till I educate myself enough to take care of him properly, therefore I seek advice from all of you experienced fellow "dogspotians" to help me out with my queries.
Sandy : Dog Spot has a very knowledgeable members so u can trust us
Disclaimer: All views and recommendation suggested are members personal view based on their experience with dogs, in case of any critical issues please consult your doc as they would check live and suggest accordingly.