• Whatsapp Whatsapp
      • DogSpot makes shopping easier via instant messaging!
        Whatsapp us on +91- 9599090487 and let us know what your furry friend requires and we will get your order delivered.

Spring & Summer Poisoning of Pets

25 May 2011 | by | Posted in: Wag Wiki

With the arrival of summer and spring season, people like to work in garden and lawns. With the improvement of weather, people  prefer to spend more time outside so, their pets are more prone to poisoning. If the products of fungicides, insecticides fertilizers and herbicides, which are commonly used lawn care products, are used according to the package instructions or they are used by qualified lawn care service then most of them are not harmful. Mainly, pets get poisoned by came in contact with concentrated products. This can take place by not following the package instructions or while using , by improper storage or intentionally using more product than required. Dogs are active at searching poorly kept containers, grate them or drink the content. Dog owners should remain open eyed while using these insecticides as they have sufficient toxicants.Many pets chew on plants in the yard and garden.Fortunately for dogs, who seem to enjoy eating grass for some unknown reason and then puking out. Most grasses are non-toxic.

Holiday ornamental plants such as poinsettias and Easter lily are often put outside for the summer.Ingestion of poinsettia stems and leaves may cause some mild gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting but is not deadly. All springtime plants like Tulips(bulbs), Lily of the valley and azaleas ,can be harmful to pets if taken in large sufficient quantities. A careful watch must be done on dogs while treating these plants with these insecticides. Most lawn seed and mulch products aregenerally not associated with toxic problems in pets. Cacoa bean mulch is perhaps the only product known to cause poisoning in dogs.This mulch is made from the hulls of cacoa beans and when fresh has a rich, chocolate aroma associated with it. Some larger breed dogs have actually eaten several pounds of the mulch, more than enough to develop poisoning associated with the chocolate remnants. These over eager dogs should be kept away from the mulch until the aroma has dissipated.

Normally, a heavy rainfall is needed and enough. One should give an extra minute to their pets for their protection and health. One should read all the package instructions carefully before applying the plant products. It is not enough but product mixing and quantity to apply is equally important. You can Check with your local garden center regarding safety of plants you want to put in your garden. Finally, tightly close the cap of all the containers and place them at secure place which is not in a reach of your pet.

Write a Story
  • Follow Us:

Views and Articles are not endorsed by DogSpot.in. DogSpot does not assume responsibility or liability for any Comment or for any claims, damages, or losses resulting from any use of the Site or the materials contained therein. All contributions and Articles are owned by DogSpot.in.